Job opportunity at EntreMundos
“Communications Program Coordinator”
About the position
We are looking for a person who has media experience, with strong journalistic writing skills. The ideal person for this position should have a deep understanding of communication for development, human rights and social justice. The position is full-time and based in Quetzaltenango. This is a job opportunity to grow professionally while working alongside a team led by young Guatemalan women at EntreMundos.
- Coordinate the bimonthly production and topics of EntreMundos’ printed magazine. This includes researching, editing and coordinating the translation of written content (articles, reports, and other journalism formats), as well as researching photographs and images for the magazine.
- Bimonthly layout the magazine in Adobe InDesign, and coordinate proofreading, shipping and communication with the printer, and receipt of hard copies.
- Write the editor’s note for each magazine edition, and if necessary, write articles.
- Coordinate the distribution of the magazine in Quetzaltenango and/or other parts of the country.
Website and social networks
- Coordinate and keep the magazine’s website updated: https://www.entremundos.org/revista/ along with the content of the printed magazine and with new content (articles, reports, notes); if necessary, write content.
- Upload the PDF document of the printed edition to EntreMundos website and Issue page.
- Elaborate publications to promote the content of the printed magazine and website for social networks, (fb, instagram) and keep them active with other shared content.
- Create a monthly newsletter in mailchimp with the main content of the website and activities of the magazine and/or EntreMundos.
- Search for potential organizations and companies interested in being advertised on the printed magazine or website, (the coordinator will receive a commission on top of the salary for each sale).
- Keep in touch with advertisers by mail, phone calls and visits for payment and renewal of ads (the coordinator will receive a commission on top of the salary for each payment made).
- Design or modify advertisers’ artwork if necessary.
- Keep updated the printed and online magazine “media pack”, i.e. advertising document and information on ad prices and offers.
- Be in charge of the magazine’s email and maintain communication and recruit volunteers and collaborations of writers, photographers, translators, interns, etc. for the communication program; designing work plans for those who collaborate in the long term.
- Constantly search for grant opportunities for the communications program, assist in the development of proposals and fundraising activities, and keep in touch with potential individual donors.
- Coordinate with volunteers and the EntreMundos director the bimonthly podcast edition, which includes: review of podcast plan, development or revision of interview scripts, coordination of interviews, support in voice recordings, review and publication of podcast.
- Collaborate with the director and team, the preparation of the EntreMundos annual report.
- Attend monthly team meetings and support other organizational needs as needed.
Education, experience and skills required:
- Senior student or professional in communication with expertise in human rights, development and social justice. Senior student or professional in social sciences, international relations or similar with professional experience in media for development and human rights are also welcomed to apply.
- Strong skills in journalistic writing and editing (especially articles, reports, and other written formats). Send samples if possible.
- Knowledge of the social and political current affairs of the country; interest and openness in development, human rights and social justice issues, including sensitive issues, eg: feminism, animal rights, ecology, rights to land and natural resources, etc.)
- Intermediate or advanced level of English, in case Spanish is not your native language, you must have an advanced level of Spanish.
- Knowledgeable in platforms such as google drive and other communication platforms, such as zoom, skype, and similar.
- With the ability to establish networks and contacts; easy to talk to, outgoing and independent person.
- Experience or willingness to learn about fundraising proposal development with international donors.
- Experience in the use of social media, especially for social organizations.
- Ability to work as part of a team, and support other programs within the organization.
Desired experience and skills considered a plus (but not required)
- Web page management in WordPress and in graphic design programs (especially Photoshop and InDesign).
- Experience in email marketing with mailchimp, advertising and ad sales.
- Basic skills in audio and video editing and/or podcast production.
Training and part-time probationary period (paid) during March and April, formal start of position May 2022.
What do we offer for this position?
- Pleasant working environment together with a young local team.
- Meaningful work in a social organization committed to the development of Guatemala.
- Training and learning opportunity within the organization.
- Paid travel expenses in case of travel on behalf of the organization.
How to apply
To be considered, applicants should send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy to email@example.com attaching a single pdf document, the following:
- Resume highlighting education and work experience related to the position (NO MORE THAN 3 SHEETS).
- Cover letter: Telling us your reasons of interest in the position, availability to start working and your salary expectations.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: January 30, 2022
For logistical reasons, only selected candidates will be contacted. Interviews with selected candidates will be conducted during the month of February via zoom or google meet. If we do not find the right person for the position, the date of the call may be extended.
NO QUESTIONS WILL BE ANSWERED THROUGH PHONE CALLS OR SOCIAL NETWORKS. If you have any questions, please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org